2024 Jimmy Johns Marigold Medallion Hunt Clues Explained

 

2024 Jimmy Johns Marigold Medallion Hunt

 

I knew that Tante Park would be my choice earlier than I usually choose my hiding spot.

In early June I created an episode for my podcast  “What’s the Story, Pekin”, where I enlisted Pekin Library’s local historian, Jared Olar to research a special topic.  I asked him if he could look into how a number of iconic Pekin locations got their names.  We titled it “What’s in a Name” and it included places like FM Peterson Theater, CB Smith and Wilson Schools, James Field, McNaughton Park and more.  Jared found great information.  But the place that had him stumped was Tante Park.  In a sense it was a story that is perhaps “lost to history”.  But I knew I had found the Medallion’s future hiding location.  That podcast would be part of my conceptual framework.  Using it would be new, unpredictable, and unexpected- just what keeps the Medallion Hunt special for many.  Besides, this  is our Bicentennial year, and a little history lesson had to be a part of this hunt. It would also give references for those who wanted to work the hunt from afar.  Together with descriptions of things within the park and references to the “spot”, there was plenty to work with.  While I was tempted to more thoroughly introduce the podcast in early clues, I chose to hold it back and bring it forward in increasing doses as we got more deeply into the hunt.  My approach would be “A main course in Geography, slowly adding hints of History”.

So, with that in mind- here are the explanations to what some call: “My Madness”.

 

Clue # 1

 

“We’re off to the races again my friends So many out looking for the elusive disc Will this be a long laborious process Or one where hunters make the effort brisk?”

 

I’ll introduce multiple references,

Some plain and one you cannot see.

Sagacity and dogged determination.

For those at home it will simply be.

 

Explanation:

In the first verse, the hunter learns that their work and exercise could be “laborious” meaning the hunt is analytical as well as physical because of the references and exercise required.

The second verse informs that there will be multiple references including “one you cannot see” which relates to my podcast “What’s the Story, Pekin” which brings an investigative aspect to the hunt.

 

 

Clue#2

 

Remember the rules and disclaimers.

Sometimes I have to say them again and again.

I know I’ll likely string you along.

Sights and sounds in these clues I’ll extend.

 

We’ll consider our share of history

Where I take you quite a way back.”

Our Bicentennial gives you a lot to study.

I’ll take the fifth wondering how you’ll react.

 

Explanation:

 

“Again and Again” refers to the two tee-pee structures you see as you approach the hiding spot.  “String you along” refers to the chain that runs along the bollards when driving into the park. 

The second verse introduces an association with our Bicentennial- and eventually my podcast.  This clue also lays out the size of Tante Park, which has been documented and is 40 acres.  Bicentennial is 200 years. One “fifth” of 200 is 40.

 

 

Clue #3

 

Some people tend to air out their differences.

Or perhaps there’s stories they like to tell.

Some listen and seek answers to questions.

It’s what you learn that serves you well.

 

How much exercise will this take?

Heart pumping blood and working hard?

Or will you tune out this reference,

Posted studies in this regard?

 

 

Explanation:

 

The first verse hints of a podcast I host called “What’s the Story Pekin?” Words like “air” “stories” and “listen” relate to that.  “Answers to questions relate to one of my Bicentennial podcasts titled “What’s in a Name?”

In the second verse I point out that the “posted” rule sign in the park has three rules that start with “no”.  There is a song  titled “Pumpin Blood” by a group known as “Nonono”- or in this case three “no’s”. (I know what you’re thinking-“really Gary?!!”  But hey, it fits…and it’s Clue 3.)

 

Clue # 4

 

I know so many are now looking,

There are stories that abound.

Venture off, study and listen judiciously.

It’s episodic in how it can be found.

 

What is on the other side of the ball?

And a surface like a clue that is hard?

You’ll notice in your endeavors

That which nature chose to discard.

 

Explanation:

Note that the first verse refers to my podcast with “stories” again plus “listen”, and the direct reference of “episodic”.

The second verse is characteristic of the trail to the location.  The first line refers to “defense”, or in this case, the fence that runs on the side of the start of the trail.  The “surface like a clue that is hard” is the concrete bridge.  “Nature chose to discard” are the fallen trees- especially the one where the Medallion was hidden.

 

 

Clue#5

 

The wheels are in motion

It’s certainly not downhill from here.

Yogi talked of a utensil

In this case it’s unusually clear.

 

A funny name for a convention site

And for hunters to take a break

There may be something that blocks your way Why’s it there for heaven’s sake?

 

Explanation:

“Wheels in motion” relate to having to travel a distance to the site.  “Not downhill” means it’s “uphill”.  Yogi Berra famously said “when you come to a fork in the road, take it”.  The medallion was hidden past a two forks in the main path at Tante.

In the second verse, a “funny name for a convention site was the Republican convention in 1860 held at the “Wigwam” in Chicago.  A wigwam is a form of a Native American tee pee.

“Break” refers to the fallen tree.  The “block” is the concrete block at the site of second tee pee which you wonder “why it’s there”.

 

 

Clue#6

 

Are you drawing closer

To the trappings of success?

Don’t overlook a sequence of numbers,

Nor add to your duress

 

The ayes have it, but here it’s easy.

Indifferent and always strong.

You may be down and then you’re up.

Broadcasted clearly to a listening throng.

 

Explanation:

“Trappings” refers to the park rules sign in the parking area turn around.  “Sequence of numbers” relates to the mailbox numbers- two boxes which sit side by side near the park entrance.

In the second verse, “ayes” either brought you to Springfield and phonetically, it also refers to “eyes”.-relating to all the eyes on the bollards- that “are always strong”.  “Down and then up” refer to the topography as you embark on the trail- which goes sharply down and then, after crossing the concrete bridge, begins to go up.

 

To show how things would have progressed- here are the next three clues toughed out.

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN:

 

 

Clue # 7

 

Time to get you more on target.

And therefore closer to the glory.

There’s Logan from Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Find him and ask “what’s the story?

 

I just named where you should be going.

It can be critical to your quest.

It drove me to ask and wonder

And was even confusing to my guest.

 

Explanation:

Logan in Ghostbusters Afterlife is actor Logan Kim who played “podcast”.  My podcast is titled “What’s the Story, Pekin”.  In the podcast ”What’s in a Name?” we try to answer how Tante Park got its name.  There really is no definitive answer so it was “confusing to my guest”.

 

 

Clue #8

 

Let’s go back like fingers on your hand

Note the convention was for Abe Lincoln

Being the host of a podcast

Also got me thinking.

 

It all comes down to what’s in a name?

There’s a clue if you choose to hear it.

I know for sure the sun won’t shine.

As you’re getting near it.

 

Explanation:

The first two lines take you back to Clue 5 and gets you to Wigwam.  I again bring in references to my podcast and a specific hint on where the medallion would be.

 

Clue #9

 

Listen to my reference

Around the 21 minute mark.

Know my first is listed last

On the list given by our parks.

 

A bridge way to your treasure,

Roger Bannister’s goal goes from there.

About 100 paces past what’s on your left Turn again, you’re likely there.

 

Explanation:  gets you to the exact point on my podcast of where Tante is mentioned.  In 1988, I hid it at Tante.  It was my “first” hunt.  If you look at the Park District’s website and list of Parks, Tante is listed “last”.

“Bridge” is pretty obvious. Roger Bannister’s goal as a distance runner was to break the Four Minute Mile.  The medallion was hidden around a 4 minute walk beyond it.  It was also approximately 100 paces past the Tee-Pee on your left.

 

Our first Three-Peaters!! 

Congrats to Seth, Todd, Kyndall, Jake and Dawson.  These guys work it hard!!  Their exhaustive effort and their “sagacity” is a story in itself!

Thank you to everyone who went out in search of the treasured prize.  Every year I hear from so many people about how much the Medallion Hunt means to them and their families.  If that includes you and you see me at the festival please tell me “your story”.  It’s why we do this.

 

By the way- Google “What’s the Story, Pekin?” and check out our many Bicentennial-and other-stories.

 

Gary Gillis

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Jimmy John's Marigold Medallion Hunt Clue #1

2024 Jimmy John's Marigold Medallion Hunt Clue #2

2024 Jimmy John's Marigold Medallion Hunt Clue #3