2010 Pepsi Marigold Medallion Clue Explanations

We all knew that this COULD happen. I knew that someday it WOULD happen. The Pepsi Marigold Medallion Hunt was finished like a can of Pepsi -- quickly. Unfortunately we all had assumed that it was more like a 2 liter Pepsi -- meant to last. Carrie Westerfield proved what we intuitively knew to be true. The Medallion could be found by anybody at any time beginning with the release of Clue One at noon on Monday. By her actions, she demonstrated the key ingredients to be a successful hunter: early participation, a valid deduction, a bit of old-fashioned luck, and a tireless resolve to stick to a theory and prove yourself right.

The Hunt has continued well beyond Labor Dayfor several consecutive years. People like that. They enjoy the mounting excitement and the anticipation of the next clue. Activities are planned around it. This has happened because we were all conditioned to assume that the hunt would last. The fact is that it was never intended to be that way - nor should it. I have always insured that each clue has value and I was concerned when people referred to the first few clues as "throw-away" or "useless". Every clue has merit, which Carrie proved. Let's all thank her for reminding us of that.

Now to the clues......Every year I tend to employ themes. This year was a bit different. The themes were somewhat subtle. I decided to write based more upon what I "saw", rather than what I "thought". I wanted to use the west entrance to Dirksen Park using some offshoot of Running Deer Trail. However, the park's parking lot is adjacent to the Pekin Archery Range. We have had a disclaimer in place saying that the Medallion will not be found "in close proximity" to the Archery Range. I wrote that years ago to discourage hunters from looking around or behind the archery targets or within an archer's range. Basically, I wanted to keep them out of harm's way. The entrance to Running Deer Trail is not in "close proximity" to the range. Still, I took two non-hunters into my confidence (one of whom is my Designated Hider) and had them look and share their opinion. I met with my "Bouncers" early to discuss this issue and was prepared to pull the plug on this location and quickly select another if necessary. They all agreed -- we were safe. For my comfort, I made subtle references to the disclaimer - four of them in the first two clues - which you will see. I also made sure that no high traffic events that would overwhelm the smaller parking lot were planned during the possible span of the hunt.

Clue # 1 "Rule" referred to the disclaimer and the park rule signs. "If you follow the letter of the law" shared the same application. First you will see all the park rules and "following the letter of the law" reminded people of the specificity of the disclaimer. It was not hidden anywhere that constitutes "close proximity". "Extraneous placements" simply warned hunters of verbal deception. "Parallax" referred to the differing views or observation of the hiding spot when approaching the tree where it was hidden. (As a side note, there was a 1974 movie entitled "The Parallax View" starring Warren Beatty where the storyline focused on the assassination of a U.S. Senator. If a hunter picked up on that, they may have thought of our Senator - Everett Dirksen). Finally, the twenty second letter of the alphabet- "V" referred to a V shaped tree that was near the hiding spot.

Clue # 2. "Colors come in all shapes and sizes" dealt with all the different colored and shaped signs. "Awfully worn" referred to the erosion evident on the road leading into the park and on the trail. "I want to lead you to the right of the left" told the hunter that I wanted to lead you away from the Archery Range. The parking lot and the trail entrance are to the right of the closed-off Archery Range entrance. Since I worried people would read too much into the disclaimer, "I found myself emotionally torn". This location required some walking so "you might want to stretch your legs for this one". "The curve" referred to the chosen side trail that curved off the main trail. "Each and every warning" referred to all the trail rules and park regulations that are seen at the road entrance as well as the entrance to Running Deer Trail.

As always, if you got to the general area, and made determined observations, the clues would have made sense. They certainly did for Carrie, Bailey and Carter. I send them my hearty congratulations and say well done! But Carrie has also said that she has me figured out. I've been told that by a number of people over the years. All I can say is, "Carrie, we'll see".

So, two clues. Wow! If you would have told me back in 1988 that one of the next twenty-three hunts would only go two clues, I would have taken those odds. A 5% probability is not too bad. We'll just have to see how the odds change next year.

I have heard from many people who are happy for Carrie and her family but are disappointed that they would not have the Medallion Hunt to partake in as a family activity. One of by goals with the hunt has always been to see friends and families join together for a common fun effort. My wish is that you continue to do so. Plan something else. Enjoy our community. Observe Labor Day. But just as you would with the hunt, enjoy it with family an friends. Thanks for your abbreviated participation!

Gary Gillis
Cluemeister

For those who simply enjoy reading the clues, watch for the "Unreleased Clues-- Numbers 3, 4, 5, 6". Since I wrote them, I might as well share them. You can review and analyze them all you want. Just classify them under, "What IF?"

Popular posts from this blog

Clue #2 - 2023 Jimmy John's Marigold Medallion Hunt

Clue #6 - 2023 Jimmy John's Marigold Medallion Hunt